Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, contrary to his command. So fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord.

Leviticus 8-10

Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, contrary to his command. So fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. Leviticus 10:1-2

Day 33 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the ordination of Aaron and his sons in their priestly duties and the death of Nadab and Abihu for "unauthorized fire" (see Leviticus 10:1).

Key takeaway: we should not toy with sin and disobedience (see post yesterday); God alone is judge and He punishes and grants mercy according to His perfect will.  Whatever mercy we may receive we are not deserving - whatever punishment we receive we are deserving (see Romans 6:23). Of note here is how Aaron is given mercy while his sons are not.

My commentary* indicates "[t]he fact that Aaron is permitted to become high priest despite his sin in making the golden calf (and later trying to avoid responsibility for it) is testimony to the forgiving nature of God, as well as perhaps to the need for the one who will intercede on behalf of his people to be thoroughly acquainted with temptations and moral failure".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. "
 

I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.  Exodus 33:19

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You are full of mercy and judgement and both are perfect - Your ways are mysterious but they are also good and I know You love me.  You have saved me from sin and death and You adopted me into Your family.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such mercy and compassion.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.