Monday, February 10, 2020

Then Joseph could no longer control himself before all his attendants, and he cried out, “Have everyone leave my presence!” So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers. And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him, and Pharaoh’s household heard about it.

Genesis  42:6-45:15

Then Joseph could no longer control himself before all his attendants, and he cried out, “Have everyone leave my presence!” So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers. And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him, and Pharaoh’s household heard about it. Genesis 45:1-2

Day 19 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues to focus on Joseph's story - including the climax where Joseph's role in the administration and distribution of grain during the famine leads his brothers to Egypt where they are reunited - but not without tension and torment of his brothers by Joseph.

When his brothers arrived in Egypt and sought grain during the famine, Joseph desired at least some semblance of revenge and he puts both his brothers (all of them, including Benjamin) and his father Jacob through great agony.  But Joseph finally relents and in Genesis 45:3 he tells his brothers who he is and while there is initial fear, there is ultimately relief and celebration over the reunion.

Contrast such yielding and submission of one's life to God with the self-control Joseph exercises earlier in his life when he refuses to sleep with Potiphar's wife (see Genesis 39 and DesiringGod.com)   At least part of Joseph sought to continue to control and manipulate his brothers by putting them through more agony, yet he yielded to God's desires as he could not deny that even this aspect of his story was part of God's plan.

I've struggled with control much of my life and as I've grown in my relationship with Jesus, I've learned to be more at peace with how God is in control vs myself.

I think of the Israelites in Exodus 14 when they stood before the Red Sea as the rapidly approaching Egyptians threatened re-capture and worse:

Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Exodus 14:13-14

While Joseph's circumstances are of course different - his story of self-control vs God in control are one in the same.  God works in all things and we must submit to Him and what He is doing.  See Romans 8:28 and Colossians 1:16-17.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know You are in control - You reign and Your sovereignty and rule is perfect.  And I know You love me and You have adopted me into Your family.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.