Saturday, February 22, 2020

Then the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

Exodus 32-34

Then the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened. Exodus 32:14

Day 30 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the Israelites' failure to remain faithful in God as Moses was with God on Mount Sinai.

Aaron holds much of the responsibility of this failure as he leads the Israelites in an effort to create an idol (see Exodus 32:2-6 where he makes no attempt to encourage the Israelites to remain faithful, and 32:22-24 where Aaron makes feeble excuses for his lack of courage to confront the Israelites in their sin).

Although God's anger burns, Moses intercedes on the Israelites' behalf and God's anger relents and He shows great compassion and mercy - see Exodus 32:11-14.  He renews his covenant with the Israelites.  Moses' act to intercede on behalf of the Israelites foreshadows what Jesus does for all of us as believers - He willingly lays down His life to atone for all sin for all of humanity.  Just as Moses intercedes for the Israelites, Jesus intercedes for us - we all need a savior, and Jesus is that Savior.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who is full of compassion and mercy - for the Israelites...and for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love, compassion, and mercy.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.