Thursday, February 20, 2020

“Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.”

Exodus 19-24

“Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.” Exodus 20:20

Day 27 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on God's covenant with Israel and the laws and regulations under which God will rule Israel, including the Ten Commandments.  Moses speaks with God on Mount Sinai and as well the elders experience God's glory.

God's presence at Mount Sinai must have been quite the site - with the thunder and lightning and smoke (v18).  I can imagine the fear - I would have been in fear myself!

This is of course by design.  We should fear God - He both knows everything AND is all powerful.

As I posted a couple of days ago, fear should serve as a preservative and here it is - Moses making the case in so many words.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who protects me from sin...and gives me victory over sin and death.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.