Sunday, February 9, 2020

"I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.”

Genesis  39-42:5

"I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.” Genesis 41:16

Day 18 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Joseph's story from when he was in charge of Potiphar's house though his days in prison (falsely accused by Potiphar's wife) to his rise as being in charge of gathering and distributing grain during the periods of abundance and famine in Egypt.

Joseph's story is certainly well known and while there is debate over whether Joseph was prideful, arrogant or dumb, what is clear that once Joseph begins to rise out of the ashes of captivity in Egypt, the Bible makes it clear that Joseph attributes His gifts and the results achieved through his gifts to God alone.

It starts with Joseph's acknowledgement that it would be sinful to sleep with Potiphar's wife - see Genesis 39:9.  In prison, Joseph's gives God the glory for his ability to interpret dreams - see Genesis 40:8.  Once again, Joseph, to Pharaoh, attributes his ability to interpret dreams to God alone - see Genesis 41:16.  Joseph again attributes his successes in Egypt to God in the naming of his sons - see 41:51-52.

The absence of God's mention by Joseph early in his life does not mean he denied God's role in his life.  Yet we do know that God does not want us to keep it secret who He is and what He means to us - we are to be a light...not under a bowl but on a lamp stand for all to see.

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:14-16 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who has blessed me beyond what I deserve.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.