Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.

Various Proverbs

Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. Proverbs 3:7
 
Day 135 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the Proverbs - primarily of Solomon, but including the Proverbs of other authors as well. This morning my focus includes proverbs that demonstrate value of wise sayings, the purpose of Proverbs, the preeminence of God (fear of the Lord, trust in God or self, divine providence), and insight vs ignorance (wisdom vs folly, dealing with fools, discernment and understanding, and knowledge). 
 
Fear of God and trust in God vs self or others stick out as key themes this morning.
 
Arrogance and pride have long been sins of mine and God has given me thorns in my side much like Paul and agree with this DesiringGod.com post which posits that "[thorns in our side] almost always humble us in embarrassing rather than noble ways. They not only seem to impede our effectiveness and fruitfulness, but they also are more likely to detract from rather than enhance our reputations."  I have had very humbling experiences and while they are painful to experience, I alwlays look back on how God has refined me into more of His image - of course I am grateful for this.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has gracefully given me thorns in my side that have refined me and I am amazed that You love me enough to do this as a tool of Fatherly discipline.  I am grateful...thank You.  Yet I am undeserving of Your love.  I am still full of arrogance and pride - and I am controlling.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.