Sunday, June 7, 2020

“Praise be to the Lord, who has given rest to his people Israel just as he promised. Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses."


“Praise be to the Lord, who has given rest to his people Israel just as he promised. Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses." 1 Kings 8:56

Day 132 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with Solomon's dedication of the temple in Jerusalem - including praise, burnt offerings, and prayer.  Solomon prays for God to forgive Israel and to hear their cries of forgiveness through defeat, drought, famine and plague, for strangers to know God reigns, in battle, and in captivity. 

Solomon recognizes that we all sin and his prayer for God to maintain a soft heart for a repentant Israel is a particularly poignant prayer.

"When they sin against you—for there is no one who does not sin—and you become angry with them and give them over to their enemies, who take them captive to their own lands, far away or near; and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive, and repent and plead with you in the land of their captors and say, ‘We have sinned, we have done wrong, we have acted wickedly’; and if they turn back to you with all their heart and soul in the land of their enemies who took them captive, and pray to you toward the land you gave their ancestors, toward the city you have chosen and the temple I have built for your Name; then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause. And forgive your people, who have sinned against you; forgive all the offenses they have committed against you, and cause their captors to show them mercy; for they are your people and your inheritance, whom you brought out of Egypt, out of that iron-smelting furnace."

“May your eyes be open to your servant’s plea and to the plea of your people Israel, and may you listen to them whenever they cry out to you. For you singled them out from all the nations of the world to be your own inheritance, just as you declared through your servant Moses when you, Sovereign Lord, brought our ancestors out of Egypt.” 1 Kings 8:46-53

Not only does Solomon praise God for what He has done, but he exhorts all of Israel to walk in obedience. His words are consistent with those of Paul who wants us to be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1).

As we dedicate our lives to Jesus, let us remember what God has done for us and to remember that God is faithful, can be trusted above all, and God keeps all of His promises.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are my God, You are faithful, can be trusted above all, and I can rest in the certainty that all of Your promises come true.  I am not deserving of such a God.  I sin...daily...please forgive me Jesus. You know my sin.  It often weighs on me.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.   Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.