Tuesday, June 2, 2020

I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.


I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:13-14

Day 127 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and today I start a new grouping "Psalms of the Messiah".  My commentary* indicates that the while the authors of the eight psalms presented in this grouping "probably believe that the messianic psalms refer primarily to a great political king to come, later events will show that the Messiah comes as the spiritual leader of his people".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Today's three psalms serve to warn earthly leaders about the coming Messiah, pray for God's presence and praise for the Messiah, and to praise God for confidence in the resurrection of the righteous.
 
Psalm 27 this morning gives me encouragement.  David encourages patience.  In light of my post yesterday, I needed this and this accompanying commentary from DesiringGod.com where Jon Bloom writes "David is declaring the source of his certainty while living in an uncertain world. And it is a beautiful, strengthening way to end his psalm." This morning I rest in the certainty of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, everything about You is true and trustworthy and in You I can place my hope and trust - thank You Jesus for saving me and for the peace it provides.  I love You.  Yet I know I am undeserving of such a gift.  I am grateful for Your compassion and mercy but my worry continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my worry towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.