Monday, June 15, 2020

In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right, until someone comes forward and cross-examines.

Various Proverbs 

In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right, until someone comes forward and cross-examines. Proverbs 15:4

Day 140 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the Proverbs - primarily of Solomon, but including the Proverbs of other authors as well. This morning my focus includes proverbs that highlight disharmony and strife (solicitation to evil, violence, murderers, causing others harm, revenge, and dissension and strife), honesty (truthfulness, accurate weights, boundary stones, wrongfully obtained gains, and bribery), and justice (false witnesses, open-mindedness, and judicial justice).

Of the many proverbs in my study this morning, Proverbs 18:17 is the one that hits home the most. My commentary* highlights the focus of this proverb as a proverb of open-mindedness.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

I believer that when you peel back the onion, arrogance, pride, lack of confidence (insecurities), also play a role in how we are quick to speak - or quick (or rash) to react to anything for that matter.  This is very similar to the topic of my post a couple of days ago.

We must be quick to listen and slow to speak.

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. James 1:19-20

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is slow to anger and abounding in love - thank You Jesus.  I know I have done many things worthy of Your wrath and I am grateful for Your mercies.  I am also undeserving.  I continue to sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.