Sunday, June 14, 2020

The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit.

Various Proverbs 

The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:4

Day 139 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the Proverbs - primarily of Solomon, but including the Proverbs of other authors as well. This morning my focus includes proverbs that highlight control of the tongue (wise and foolish talk, righteous and wicked talk, appropriate speech, maintaining silence, controlled speech, flattery, slander and gossip, hurtful talk, quarreling, lying, and the power of the tongue).

I have previously posted on my challenges with being critical, harsh and hurtful with my words.

I can feel God and the Holy Spirit at work within me in this area - I am grateful for God's mercy and guidance as He molds me into more of His image.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has transformed my heart and my life to be more like You.  I am grateful but I know there is much work to do...I continue to be harsh with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.