Friday, June 5, 2020

Solomon answered God, “You have shown great kindness to David my father and have made me king in his place. Now, Lord God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?”


Solomon answered God, “You have shown great kindness to David my father and have made me king in his place. Now, Lord God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?” 1 Kings 3:8-10, 2 Chronicles 1:8-10

Day 130 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with the early days of Solomon's rule.  While Solomon initially spares Adonijah's life (see post yesterday), Adonijah still feels entitled to the throne (1 Kings 2:15) and requests Abishag (the beautiful caregiver for David late in his life - see 1 Kings 1) to be his wife.  Solomon sees through this selfish request and he executes Adonijah.  Solomon consolidates his power by also executing Joab and Shimei, and removed Abiathar from the priesthood - all disloyal to the throne.  Solomon then negotiates an alliance with Egypt and married Pharaoh's daughter.  Scripture then notes how "[t]he kingdom was now established in Solomon’s hands (1 Kings 2:46).  My commentary* indicates that "[b]ecause of these various political steps, Solomon’s reign begins with a calm hardly known by the former king [David]".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.  
 
The Lord then appears to Solomon and grants him anything he requests and Solomon asks for wisdom. 
 
We should all seek God more than anything else in this world.  The world makes many promises and Paul is correct when he says: 
 
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. Philippians 3:7-9 
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has blessed me beyond what words can describe - blessings that far surpass what I can experience through the world.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I sin...daily, including gossip, selfishness, and worry.  I am grateful for Your mercy and compassion because I know I don't get what I deserve for such sin.  I need Your mercy every day.  Please forgive me for my sins today and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.