Thursday, June 4, 2020

“So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses."


“So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses." 2 Kings 2:2-3

Day 129 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) moves from a study of Psalms to Solomon's rise to the throne after David's passing - this transition of power is not without incident as one of David's sons - Adonijah - attempts a coup which ultimately proves unsuccessful.

While noteworthy, Solomon's grace and compassion towards his brother Adonijah (1 Kings 1:49-53) is not my focus for today's post. Prior to his death, David imparts his final words to Solomon with an emphasis on how obedience to God will result on fulfillment of God's promise to David (2 Kings 2:3-4).  I am reminded of God's many promises and in particular the Second Covenant - this is the gift of grace and compassion of Jesus Christ - the greatest gift of all time.  

John Piper has this excellent summary of what the Second Covenant means - part 1 and part 2 - drawing on Hebrews 8:6-13.
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the Messiah, King of kings, Lord of lords, and You are sovereign over all.  You came to rescue me and to nail my sins and the sin of all humanity to the cross.  You offer salvation to me and to all.  I am grateful for such an incredible gift but I am undeserving.  I see first my own comfort and earthly desires often before You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Thank You for healing Lisa from her cancer but please continue to keep her well from this cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.