Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The Lord brought me [wisdom] forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; I was formed long ages ago, at the very beginning, when the world came to be....For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Proverbs 8-9, 1-4

The Lord brought me [wisdom] forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; I was formed long ages ago, at the very beginning, when the world came to be....For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 8:22-23, 2:6

Day 134 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the Proverbs - primarily of Solomon, but including the Proverbs of other authors as well. My commentary* indicates that "[t]he proverbs are short poems, usually in the form of couplets, which set high ethical standards and give practical advice for daily living through the use of comparative, or perhaps antithetical, imagery....[they] place high value on wisdom and sharply contrast good and evil, righteousness and wickedness, justice and injustice."  My commentary* also indicates that although other cultures may have influenced each other with regards to how similar writings/poetry appear during this time in history when Proverbs was written, "...the Hebrew proverbs are distinct in that all wisdom is seen as flowing from the true God, rather than being a mere accumulation of human observation and experience."  

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Similar to my study of the Psalms, individual Proverbs are categorized into topic areas and this morning my focus includes an introduction to wisdom, the benefits of wisdom, the dangers of rejecting wisdom, and Solomon's personal plea to his sons to seek wisdom.

Similar to my post yesterday, I am highlighting how wisdom comes from God alone.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You alone produce wisdom - worthy of my study and reflection, and my obedience.  Your wisdom has indeed produced blessings in my life and I am not deserving of such blessings.  I worry, and I have other sins.  I am grateful for Your forgiveness and mercy and I need it once again today...this morning.  Please forgive me for my sin and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.