Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.


Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. Psalm 45:6

Day 128 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and today I start a new grouping "Psalms of the Messiah".  My commentary* indicates that the while the authors of the eight psalms presented in this grouping "probably believe that the messianic psalms refer primarily to a great political king to come, later events will show that the Messiah comes as the spiritual leader of his people".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.


Today's psalms focus on majesty of the eternal King and the beauty of his kingdom, exaltation of the King of kings, the glory of Zion, the Messiah to be born in Zion, and that the Messiah will be priest and King.

The verse I am choosing to highlight today - Psalm 45:6 emphasizes the certainty of God and that His kingdom will last forever.  As I posted yesterday, I need certainty.  I place too much hope in earthly matters when I must place my hope most of all in God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, blesses me abundantly, and is trustworthy beyond what can be trusted in this world.  I am not deserving of such a God - I sin and fall down daily.  I neglect my time with You and am easily distracted.  I am grateful God for Your compassion and mercy but please forgive me.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and lover others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.