Saturday, September 3, 2022

Be not a witness against your neighbor without cause, and do not deceive with your lips. Do not say, “I will do to him as he has done to me; I will pay the man back for what he has done.

Proverbs 22:17-24:34

Be not a witness against your neighbor without cause, and do not deceive with your lips. Do not say, “I will do to him as he has done to me; I will pay the man back for what he has done. Proverbs 24:28-29

I continue with my study of Proverbs, specifically in week 8 from my study workbook, which focuses on Proverbs 22:17-24:34.  The three final questions from the study for this week focus on exhortations to (1) avoid partiality in justice and to love your neighbor as yourself (Proverbs 24:23b, James 2:1-13, and John 13:34); (2) build a foundation for a Godly life based on "losing your life" in terms of being prepared to lose those things in our earthly life where we should not place more faith than God himself - this includes our own physical life, family, health, wealth, etc. (Proverbs 24:27, Luke 14:25-33); and (3) not take revenge on others but instead leave justice to God, and in its place focus on loving others, including those who either do us harm, or intend/seek to do so (Proverbs 24:28-29, Leviticus 19:18, Romans 12:19, Hebrews 10:29-31, Matthew 5:43-48).  In particular, the message to love others and to not take revenge is certainly a message our country can use right now...

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - even as I was still sinning, an enemy and hostile to You, You saved me...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation nor any of the blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.