Tuesday, September 27, 2022

I shall walk in a wide place, for I have sought your precepts.

 Psalm 119

I shall walk in a wide place, for I have sought your precepts. Psalm 119:45

While I anticipate going back to my study of Isaiah, for today I once again listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion - which today focuses on the freedom promised to believers - which John Piper describes negatively as the freedom from sin, shame, guilt, etc. and positively as the freedom for holiness - namely the good works God prepares for us beforehand (when we were created by Him - Ephesians 2:10).  Piper describes the text for today as a promise and he translates the beginning of the text "wide place" by using "freedom" to emphasize the power of the promise of freedom for believers. Piper first starts by defining freedom as "open spaces", confinement, and "smallness of mind."  He urges believers not to be confined the thoughts that might be planted by Satan but instead we should renew our minds (Romans 12:2).  He uses Psalm 18:19 and God's gift of wisdom to Solomon from 1 Kings 4:29 to help us more fully understand the openness God promises for those who seek His precepts (His Word). Piper then defines the freedom Jesus wants us to appreciate - using John 8:34 and 32. This freedom is more fully defined as Piper uses 1 Peter 1:4 where is shares how believers are "partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire."  This is of course an incredible freedom - one that I aspire to more fully appreciate every single day - starting by seeking His Word.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, Your Word is lamp to my feet and a lamp to my path - and I am grateful for how I get to experience Your presence daily and for You to communicate with me and further sanctify and mold me into more of Your image.  Thank You Jesus!  Incredible blessings.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.