Sunday, September 11, 2022

It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.

Proverbs 25-29

It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out. Proverbs 25:2

I wrap my study of Proverbs week 9 from my study workbook, which focuses on Proverbs 25-29.  My focus for today is the commentary provided at the end of the lesson to assist in the review and understanding of the entire text for the week (Proverbs 25-29).  The commentary provides seven (7) takeaways, using the following text (and other references) as basis for application:

  • Proverbs 25:13 (Isaiah 40:3, Malachi 3:1, Matthew 3:1-3, Mark 1:1-3, Luke 1:76-79) points to a faithful messenger and other scripture clarifies how the OT pointed to Jesus as this faithful messenger.
  • Proverbs 28:13 (1 John 1:6-9, Exodus 34:6, Hebrews 4:16) shows how God is full of mercy for those who repent and receive His forgiveness. 
  • Proverbs 25:4 (Jeremiah 18:4, Romans 9:21, Hebrews 12:7-11) encourages us to see how God sanctifies His people through the refiner's fire.
  • Proverbs 25:26 (Ezekiel 34:18-19, Revelation 3:15-16) warns believers against lukewarm faith.
  • Proverbs 28:14 (Exodus 4:21, 7:3, 8:15, 9:12, 34, 10:20, Romans 9:1-18, Hebrews 3:7-12) encourages believers to guard against influences that may harden our hearts.
  • Proverbs 25:2 (Deuteronomy 29:29, Romans 11:33) seeks for us to appreciate the mystery of God.
  • Proverbs 29:25 (Jeremiah 17:5-10) describes how seeking the approval of men (over God) is a snare and idolatry.

Proverbs 25:2, in particular this morning, encourages me to continue to press into my Bible study.  This DesiringGod.com post indicates "[v]ery often, God is not interested in merely handing us the truth; he instead wants us to hunt for it[.]" Believers should relish the hunt!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and Your thoughts and ways are a mystery but You bless those who seek wisdom.  My search for wisdom continues and will will continue until I am home with You but You bless me as I search for truth.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.