Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Proverbs 30-31

Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar. Proverbs 30:5-6

I return to my study of Proverbs - starting week 10 from my study workbook, which focuses on Proverbs 30-31:9.  My focus for today is an introduction to the entire text for the week. The opening from my workbook for this week describes the text as (1) "sayings of Agur, son of Jakeh..." and these words stress humility - Proverbs 30; and (2) words from King Lemuel "based on teaching he received from his mother about wise kingship" - Proverbs 31:1-9. The workbook encourages us to see the "big picture" as instruction from "two otherwise unknown sages...[that share] what it means to fear the Lord and to reflect his glory in one's calling."  The memory verse for this week is Proverbs 30:5-6.  

Reflecting on this week's memory verse, I also think of Paul's words for Timothy and of the memory verse from week 8 of my Proverbs study:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge, for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, if all of them are ready on your lips. Proverbs 22:17-18

I am reminded that God's Word is God Himself and we can take refuge in God through His Word. I am also reminded that we are to study God's Word and know it so that we can allow God to do His sanctifying work in our hearts and lives, and so that we can be equipped for every good work - we must understand that we exist for these good works and to glorify Him.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me Your Word, the Holy Spirit, etc. so that I can take comfort and refuge in You, and so that I can be equipped for work that ordain for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is daily and it continues.  Please forgive me for harshness with co-workers, and for other sin.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of Your heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Please provide Lisa and myself wisdom and energy.  Heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.