Saturday, September 17, 2022

Four things on earth are small, but they are exceedingly wise: the ants are a people not strong, yet they provide their food in the summer; the rock badgers are a people not mighty, yet they make their homes in the cliffs; the locusts have no king, yet all of them march in rank; the lizard you can take in your hands, yet it is in kings' palaces.

Proverbs 30-31

Four things on earth are small, but they are exceedingly wise: the ants are a people not strong, yet they provide their food in the summer; the rock badgers are a people not mighty, yet they make their homes in the cliffs; the locusts have no king, yet all of them march in rank; the lizard you can take in your hands, yet it is in kings' palaces. Proverbs 30:24-28

I continue my study of Proverbs with week 10 from my study workbook, which focuses on Proverbs 30-31:9.  My focus for today is questions #7-9 from my workbook.  These three questions examine (1) paradoxes in scripture (Proverbs 30:24-28, 1 Samuel 16:6-13, Matthew 16:25, Luke 1:46-55, Acts 9:1-16, Philippians 2:5-11); (2) how "foreign" women (those not of faith) lure people of God away from Him towards other/lesser gods and idol worship (Proverbs 31:2-9, 1 Kings 11:1-8); and (3) how God created alcohol and strong drink but warns us about over indulgence (Proverbs 31:4-7, Ecclesiastes 3:9-13, 1 Timothy 4:1-5).

In particular, question #8 (second one for today) strikes a chord with respect to the paradoxes in the Bible and how God's ways are contrary to how the world often views things, including how God looks at our heart vs outward appearances and external behavior, how He uses ordinary and people of low stature to do remarkable and supernatural things, how God himself humbled himself (taking on human form) - denying Himself and how we are expected to do the same - to gain life, and how God previously used one of the believers biggest enemies (Saul) and transformed him into one of believers greatest servants (Paul).  

We should all be encouraged by how God works!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and how You work is amazing - that You do such remarkable things through ordinary and humble people is awesome - a huge encouragement!  Thank You Jesus for this encouragement.  I am not deserving of how You bless and encourage in these ways.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.