Sunday, September 18, 2022

Every word of God proves true[.]...Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Proverbs 30-31

Every word of God proves true[.]...Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar. Proverbs 30:5a-6

I continue my study of Proverbs with my final entry for week 10 from my study workbook, which focuses on Proverbs 30-31:9.  My focus for today is the commentary and a review of the text for this week.  The commentary provides six themes expressed in the text for this week, including:

  • how God is our shield and refuge (Proverbs 30:5b)
  • how scripture describes the ideal king, yet only Jesus meets this ideal (Proverbs 31:2-9)
  • how, even though we may claim to be, none of us are clean (we all sin), and Jesus is the only one who can wash us clean (Proverbs 30:12)
  • how barrenness in life ultimately leads to hope for those who believe (Proverbs 30:15-16)
  • how God's Word is perfect and how we are not to add to or subtract from it (Proverbs 30:5a)
  • how God works, often in contrast to how the world works, including how Jesus came as a conquering King but died on the cross (Proverbs 30:24-28)

The more I study the Word of God the more I see the truth in Proverbs 30:5a - how God's Word is perfect and how we are not to add to or subtract from it. The commentary also points us to Psalm 18:30 and Deuteronomy 4:2 and 12:32.  Through such text I am encouraged to further "incline my ear [to] hear the words of the wise, [and to]...apply [my[ heart to [God's] knowledge[.]" Indeed, I am experiencing the blessing of having God's Word "within me...and ready on [my] lips (Proverbs 22:17-18)."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves and You provide Your Word, which is a lamp unto my feet and it is indeed pleasant to keep them within me and ready on my lips!  Thank You Jesus for Your Word!  I am not deserving of Your Word, nor any of the blessings You provide to help me understand Your Word - certainly the Holy Spirit, commentary, teachers, brothers and sisters in Christ who help sharpen my understanding, etc.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of these incredible blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.