Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 6

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:31-34

I continue my pause from my studies of both Proverbs and Isaiah to listen to Part 3 of DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion on worry.  John Piper uses the Sermon on the Mount to unpack promises #5-7 that Jesus gives us in the text to encourage us in our battle against anxiety and stress. These promises are:

  • #5: Matthew 6:31-32 > Piper states, using this text, that we should not feel as if "God is ignorant of [our] needs. He knows all of them. And he is “your heavenly Father.” He does not look on, indifferently, from a distance. He cares. He will act to supply your need when the time is best."
  • #6: Matthew 6:33 > Piper states, using this text, that "All the food and drink and clothing — and everything else — that you need to do his will and glorify him. Which might mean his purpose is for you to die for him, but he will supply everything you need to do it for his glory."  Piper also uses both Romans 8:32 and 35-37 to encourage us that God provides for all our needs, that we are never alone as He (through the Holy Spirit) is always with us, and that He enables us to conquer all that we may face.
  • #7: Matthew 6:34 > Piper seeks to encourage us with this text by pointing out that (using 1 Corinthians 10:13, Deuteronomy 33:25, Lamentations 3:22-23, and 2 Corinthians 9:8) that "God will see to it that you are not tested in any given day more than you can bear," and that He will give you daily strength and mercies, and all the grace you need for any good deed.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a great God and You provide for all that I need, physically, emotionally, spiritually - thank You Jesus.  I need not worry - but I have and I am certain there will be times that I will - please forgive me for my worry.  Help me overcome and turn from it and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.