Tuesday, May 2, 2023

And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.

Hebrews 11

And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect. Hebrews 11:39-40

I continue my study of Hebrews, and this morning my focus is Hebrews 11:28-40, and and I am assisted in my understanding by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary Series for Hebrews. The commentary outlines two divisions for this text: 

III. Surprising Faith in the Covenant-Keeping God (11:28-31): Here, the commentary reminds believers of the faith of Israel in crossing the Red Sea, that God would hold back the waters allowing them to cross on dry land while drowning the following Egyptian army.  We are also reminded of the faith of Israel in how they followed God's battle plan in Joshua 6 where they are instructed to march around the walls of Jericho.  The commentary also highlights the text where it discusses Rahab's faith from the Jericho story and how, although she was a prostitute and not an Israelite, "[s]he was motivated by faith. Rahab trusted in the God of Israel not only to fulfill his promise to his people but also to protect her from the destruction of Jericho. In a time of danger, she identified herself with the people of Yahweh and believed his promises, even though she was not an Israelite."

IV. Final Examples of Faith (11:32-40): The commentary then pivots to what it describes as "flawed lives marked by remarkable faith" in the concluding verses of chapter 11 - the "hall of faith."  All described in the text are highlighted by the commentary as sinning greatly, yet hailed by their faith regardless.  This includes Gideon (who demanded signs from God and led Israel to sin - Judges 6, 8), Samson (who was sexually promiscuous and broke his covenant with God - Judges 13-16), Jephthah (who vowed to sacrifice his daughter Judges 11, 34-40), and David.  Also highlighted and described in the commentary are the women who received back their dead (v35), as the commentary points to the work of both Elijah and Elisha (1 Kings 17:17-23, 2 Kings 4:18-36). 

The commentary pauses on the final verses of chapter 11 to share - regarding verses 39-40 - that those mentioned in the "hall of faith" are commended because although they "only had preliminary glimpses of God’s wondrous fulfillment of his promises," they still believed and had faith. It also comments on v40 how "[a]part from the new covenant, there is no hope of perfect, unmitigated fellowship with God on the last day."

Believers, endure in your faith and model those in the "hall of faith" as we have a better possession waiting for us in Heaven.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me my faith, the Holy Spirit, my church, Your Word, my brothers and sisters in Christ - all of which support me in my faith.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.