Saturday, May 13, 2023

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Hebrews 13

 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:31-39

I continue my study of Hebrews, and today my focus is Hebrews 13:1-6, and and I am assisted in my understanding by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary Series for Hebrews. The commentary outlines five divisions for this text:

I. Love toward Saints: Enduring in Brotherly Affection (13:1): Here the commentary emphasizes how the text seeks to have believers see other believers as family - brothers and sisters...in Christ.  Thus, in v1 we are encouraged to love our brothers and sisters in Christ. 

II. Love toward Strangers: Showing Hospitality (13:2)

III. Love toward Prisoners: Remembering the Imprisoned and Mistreated (13:3)

IV. Hold Marriage in Honor (13:4) 

V. Hold Money Loosely (13:5-6): The commentary writes here how is "a call to live out the tenth commandment. Of the Ten Commandments, the tenth—do not covet—is perhaps the most difficult for us to fully comprehend, even though it tells us specifically what we should avoid coveting: our neighbor’s wife, our neighbor’s animals, or our neighbor’s belongings."  The text wraps with why we can be content with what we have - "[t]he source of our contentment is not the security and comfort we get from owning enough things; it’s that we serve a God who takes care of us. We serve a God who will never leave or forsake us. God himself has promised....[Hebrews 13:6] reflects the same confidence in God’s abiding character that the apostle Paul displays in Romans 8:31-39."

Broadly speaking, the commentary shares how chapter 13 addresses "personal and practical concerns in order to encourage people in the faith and exhort them to grow in holiness."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace, compassion and abounding love - thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of Your grace, compassion, and love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.