Friday, May 12, 2023

The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?

Hebrews 13

The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me? Hebrews 13:6, Psalm 27:1, Psalm 118:6, and Isaiah 51:12

I continue my study of Hebrews, and today my focus is Hebrews 13:1-6, and my unaided observations of the text. As the concluding chapter of Hebrews - where the primary focus of the book overall is to encourage Jewish believers, familiar with the Old Testament and the heroes of the faith as described in chapter 11 (aka the "hall of faith") - the author of Hebrews pivots to encourage readers with practical ways to lead a Godly life, one pleasing to Christ.  We are encouraged to: 

  • love our brothers and sisters in Christ (v1)
  • show hospitality to strangers (v2) 
  • support and encourage the persecuted (v3)
  • hold up marriage as honorable and that it be "undefiled by sexual immoral[ity] and adulter[y]" (v4)
  • avoid love of money and envy (v5)

The text for today concludes (v6) by exhorting readers to heed words similarly spoken in Psalm 27:1, Psalm 118:6, and Isaiah 51:12.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord, You are a great God full of amazing grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of Your amazing grace and compassion.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.