Sunday, May 21, 2023

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Psalm 121:1-3

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how God is constantly working for believers. We need to see this is as supernatural encouragement - as only God can provide. John Piper writes that "God is a tireless worker. He never wearies. Think of God as a worker in your life. Yes, it is amazing. We are prone to think of ourselves as workers in God’s life. But the Bible wants us first to be amazed that God is a worker in our lives[.]"  Piper refers to the following verses as means to substantiate his claims:

  • Isaiah 64:4: From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides you, who works for those who wait for him.
  • 2 Chronicles 16:9: The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him.
  • Mark 10:45: The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve.

Life is a very long race for most - one that requires perseverance, endurance, encouragement, etc.  We should seek to go the One True God who created all things and provides all things as our source of provision for what we need to run and finish the race.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who never sleeps or stops working for believers, including me - thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family,  my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.