Thursday, May 11, 2023

See that you do not refuse him who is speaking. For if they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape if we reject him who warns from heaven.

Hebrews 12

See that you do not refuse him who is speaking. For if they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape if we reject him who warns from heaven. Hebrews 12:25

I continue my study of Hebrews, and today my focus is Hebrews 12:25-29, and and I am assisted in my understanding by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary Series for Hebrews. The commentary outlines three divisions for this text. 

I. He Who Speaks and Warns (12:25): The commentary describes, and it is important for believers to constantly remind themselves of this, how the gospel is not just an offer but a command: "[i]t is presented as an ultimatum, as something to be either received or rejected." For those that reject the gospel, they face eternal condemnation - Jesus will return as He promises and His wrath against those who reject Him will be terrifying!

II. All That Remains (12:26-27): The commentary shares how the author of Hebrews in this text refers back to Exodus 19:18, Judges 5:5, and Haggai 2:2-9 as these passages describe how the earth shook on Mount Sinai and how God will once again shake the earth but also the heavens and all of creation - and only God's elect will remain in New Jerusalem.

III. An Unshakable Kingdom and Its Holy King (12:28-29): The commentary focuses on how the author of Hebrews ends the text to encourage believers to be grateful for the amazing grace and abounding love of God and for believers to remain serious about their faith and reverent towards God - not flippant nor haphazard. We are also referred to Romans 12:1 where Paul appeals to believers to offer themselves as a "living sacrifice."

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord You are an awesome God who saves because of Your amazing grace and abounding love - even for those who are broken and sinful as I am.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.