Thursday, May 25, 2023

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how God does not waste any of our efforts in His Name that are spent in what we may think are flailing efforts that don't seem to be going anywhere.  I can think of many ways in which I think I am flailing - modeling God for my 20 year old son who is not a believer and hoping I can find teachable moments to share Christ with Him; telling my 15 year old Down Syndrome son that Jesus loves him before he goes to bed - hoping that even with his intellectual disability he can understand the love and grace of Christ.  Piper shares a convicting story of how a devotion from Richard Wurmbrand caused him to see how his moments seemed like flailing but were not as God does not waste any efforts made in His Name.  This is one of the great juxtapositions of how God works - for example, God's strength is greatest in our weakness.  In Wurmbrand's devotion we see how God gives clarity of thought, focus, and communication to the feeblest of those in these abilities.  I am also drawn to 1 Corinthians 9:26, were Paul reminds us that if our aim is broadly on Christ, even though it may seem like aimless movements - they are not.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - and You work in all things and use my efforts in Your Name for Your glory.  Thank You Jesus for working in my seemingly aimless efforts and for using my brokenness.  I am blessed.  Yet I am undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus, and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.