Monday, May 22, 2023

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

John 10

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how Jesus intimately knows each individual believer. John Piper seeks for believers to be encouraged how God knows them.  Piper writes: "[t]hey are not anonymous, lost in the flock."  Using John 10:14-15, he extends his thought by sharing that "[t]here is a real similarity between the way Jesus knows his Father in heaven and the way he knows his sheep. Jesus sees himself in the Father, and he sees himself in his disciples. To some degree Jesus recognizes his own character in his disciples. He sees his own brand mark on the sheep. This endears them to him."  Piper wraps the devotion by pointing to 2 Timothy 2:19 where Paul similarly echoes Jesus's words that "[t]he Lord knows those who are his."  We are urged to see how God's knowledge of us, His deep intimacy, is a "privilege...[and] a precious gift to all his sheep, and it contains within it profound, personal fellowship and affection and the promise of eternal life." Believers be encouraged by how God knows You!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for knowing everything about me - including my sin and brokenness - yet still loving me, welcoming me into Your family, and saving me.  I am not deserving of such blessings and gifts. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.