Wednesday, May 31, 2023

[T]hey shall be servants to him, that they may know my service and the service of the kingdoms of the countries.

2 Chronicles 12

[T]hey shall be servants to him, that they may know my service and the service of the kingdoms of the countries. 2 Chronicles 12:8

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at text in the Old Testament where God shows Solomon's son Rehoboam mercy in bringing a prophet Shemaiah to him to warn him of punishment God was about to deliver for abandoning Him for foreign gods (2 Chronicles 12:1-5). In response to Shemaiah's message, Rehoboam humbled himself and repented of his sins (v6). In turn, God delivered Rehoboam from the hand of his attackers (v7). However, Rehoboam was placed in the service of his attackers (Egypt and its King Shishak - v8), and Piper uses this text to illustrate how God wants us to see how service to Him is not burdensome but joyful and we do it not because God needs anything (He doesn't), but because it is life giving.  Piper shares that [t]he point is plain: serving the enemy and serving God are very different. How so? Serving God is a receiving and a blessing and a joy and a benefit. Serving Shishak is exhausting and depleting and sorrowful. God is a giver. Shishak is a taker." To bolster his point, Piper refers us to Acts 17:25 where Paul is speaking and he is explicit in describing how God does not need anything. Piper also provides Psalm 100:2 where it is written that we are to "[s]erve the Lord with gladness." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are great and You provide for all of my needs and Your mercies are new every morning.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.