Thursday, June 1, 2023

I do not nullify the grace of God[.]

Galatians 2

I do not nullify the grace of God[.] Galatians 2:21a

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at grace and faith, and how we can live Christian lives that magnify grace - rather than nullifying it.  John Piper shares that "[f]aith calls all attention to grace and magnifies it, rather than nullifying it." While Piper provides a personal story from childhood to illustrate his message to magnify grace, I am drawn to Hebrews 11, aka the "hall of faith."  Here, we see examples from the Old Testament of those noted for their faith, which is defined as (Hebrews 11:1) "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Upon review of Hebrews 11 this morning, the story of Cain and Abel from Genesis 4 sticks out how "the Lord had regard for Abel and his offering, but for Cain and his offering he had no regard" (Genesis 4:4-5). Cain grows angry, and out of love and grace for him God seeks to comfort Cain by saying: “[w]hy are you angry, and why has your face fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is contrary to you, but you must rule over it.” This post from DesiringGod.com looks at the story of Cain and Abel and shares how we are to seek faith-fueled offerings and Cain is seen as comparing himself to his brother and looking to the world for affirmation when instead we should be looking to God for affirmation and seeking to please Him.  We must remind ourselves constantly that there is nothing we can do in our own power to please God - we depend entirely on Him.

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and mercy and I am undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.