Monday, June 12, 2023

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

Romans 12

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. Romans 12:3

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at the implications that arise for our prayer based on Paul's text in Romans where he exhorts believers to avoid thinking of themselves more highly than they ought to think. Piper explains that we can avoid pride by seeing that not only whatever gifts we possess are by the grace of God, but so is the very "faith with which we use those gifts." Both, as expressed by Paul, are "according to the measure of faith that God has assigned."  God is the One doing the assignment. Piper than pivots to prayer where he refers us to Luke 22:31-32 where Jesus prays for Peters faith - that it be strengthened and that it not fail.  Piper also refers us to Mark 9:24 where the man of the epileptic son cries out to God to help him with his unbelief - to heal his son. Bottom line - as highlighted by Piper as he wraps the devotion - is that we must "acknowledges that without God we cannot believe as we ought to believe." Humility is core to our faith as it gives us an ability to submit to God, not just for our salvation, but also daily for forgiveness, our daily bread, to be equipped to serve, etc. Be humble!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me everything - my salvation, my daily bread, everything!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family,  my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.