Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

John 6

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. John 6:35

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how a satisfaction in Christ gives believers power to "break the enslaving force of sinful attractions."  First John Piper clarifies what he means by satisfaction in Christ; he shares: "[i]t is not merely the promises of God that satisfy us. It is all that God himself is for us in Jesus. Faith embraces God in Christ as our treasure — not just God’s promised gifts." Piper refers us to Revelation 21:3 and seeks for us to understand that God Himself dwelling with us - that combined with a clearer understanding of who Christ is based on how God reveals Himself to be through scripture - is what satisfies us.  Other examples of scripture provided by Piper include:

Clear takeaway is to hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6); to vigorously seek God in scripture. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who gives me power to deny the lure of sin.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessing and power.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.