Monday, June 19, 2023

Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice.

1 Samuel 15

Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. 1 Samuel 15:24

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at Saul and how his obedience to men came at the price of disobedience to God. In 1 Samuel 15:3, Samuel - as God's messenger - gives Saul specific commands about how to go to war with Amalek: "devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."  However, we learn in v9 that Saul does not do this and then in v10-11 we see God's response, followed by Samuel.  "The word of the Lord came to Samuel: “I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed my commandments.” And Samuel was angry, and he cried to the Lord all night."  John Piper points us to Isaiah 51:12 where we see additional text that reminds us not to fear man but to fear our Maker.   Isaiah 51:7-8 is even more pointed:

“Listen to me, you who know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear not the reproach of man, nor be dismayed at their revilings. For the moth will eat them up like a garment, and the worm will eat them like wool, but my righteousness will be forever, and my salvation to all generations.” 

In an age of cancel culture, where there is widespread "fear of man" with regards to faith and expressing one's views consistent with scripture, we must stand firm in the faith.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good...You protect me from harm and seal me - forever...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide such refuge.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.