Friday, June 23, 2023

No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised.

Romans 4

No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. Romans 4:20-21

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how believers honor and glorify God by remaining humble, battling unbelief, and trusting in God's future grace for our lives. John Piper uses Paul's words from Romans 4 where Paul describes Abraham's faith in God's promises for Abraham's heir to be his own son and for his descendants to be many - to be a great nation (see also Genesis 15). God of course makes many promises - that He provides, that He is faithful, that prayer is effective and He hears our prayers, etc.  For me, my unbelief can often be tied to my worry and anxiety about my children on various topics. I seek to battle unbelief in the same way that Abraham did.  I am greatly encouraged today, not just by the example of Abraham, but also by this post from DesiringGod.com on anxiety and unbelief where many examples of scripture are provided to aid me in my battle.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good...You provide, You never leave or forsake me, and Your promises can be trusted as You are faithful.  Thank You Jesus for these blessings - I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.