Sunday, June 25, 2023

For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Galatians. 1:1, 11–16; 1 Corinthians 14:37–38; 15:1–9, 20–25; 1 Thessalonians 4:13–17

For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 1 Corinthians 15:9

Today, I start a new study looking at the life of Paul, and using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I start with the Introduction.  I am compelled to look more closely at Paul because of his stature in scripture - he wrote 13 books of the New Testament - and because his words specifically reach deep into my heart to challenge me, sharpen me, encourage me, etc. In the Introduction, Piper writes how Paul does not claim to be Lord, but he "does claim to be an authoritative and truthful apostle— an   authorized representative and spokesman— for Jesus Christ, whom he says has been raised from the dead and is reigning over the universe and will come again in glory (see also Galatians. 1:1, 11–16; 1 Corinthians 14:37–38; 15:1–9, 20–25; 1 Thessalonians 4:13–17)."* My objective is to better understand Paul, and in so doing, love and admire Paul as John Piper does and ultimately to grow in how I see Jesus as the "supreme Treasure of [my] life."

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so good and Your Word is good and perfect - and I seek to better understand Your Word by examining Paul who wrote much of Your Word as a divine prophet and message speaking on Your behalf.  I am not worthy of how You reveal Yourself to me...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.