Tuesday, June 20, 2023

[B]y the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.

1 Corinthians 15

[B]y the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 1 Corinthians 15:10

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at grace - which John Piper describes as not just "leniency when we have sinned[, but also] the enabling gift and power of God not to sin. Grace is power, not just pardon." Piper leans on 1 Corinthians 15:10 and continues by sharing that efforts to be obedient to God are through God - not of our own effort - and Paul highlights that God does this through grace. We are referred as well to 1 Peter 4:11 where Peter writes that God supplies the strength to serve - through His grace. We are given yet another text in 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 where God works to equip us "according to the grace of our God." Piper wraps the devotion by sharing that "[t]he obedience that gives God pleasure is produced by the power of God’s grace through faith. The same dynamic is at work at every stage of the Christian life. The power of God’s grace that saves through faith (Ephesians 2:8) is the same power of God’s grace that sanctifies through faith."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good as You pour out Your grace daily for me as forgiveness and power to be who You intend for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such riches and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.