Saturday, June 10, 2023

The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside! I shall be killed in the streets!”

Proverbs 22

The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside! I shall be killed in the streets!” Proverbs 22:13

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how all of us, believers included, twist reason to serve our evil and rebellious ways.  John Piper uses this devotion to convict believers hearts into seeing that and how we do this.  He first starts with the sluggard - which most of us might dismiss when characterizing ourselves - by parsing how readers of this Proverb might expect fear to be the primary emotion of the text but use of the sluggard implies laziness instead because the sluggard is rationalizing the circumstance of a lion in the streets to stay inside and avoid action and work.  Piper, seeking to apply this text then quickly moves to all believers by sharing that "we need to learn....that our heart exploits our mind to justify what we want. That is, our deepest desires precede the rational functioning of our minds and incline the mind to perceive and think in a way that will make the desires look right, even if they’re wrong."  Our efforts to warp reason so that we can continue in our sin is a powerful dynamic - Piper refers us to John 3:19 to help us see this message through other text.  Here, it's not that we twist circumstances to validate our action or inaction, its that we use darkness to hide our sin - if no one knows we can continue in our sin.  Convicting message indeed!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is doing a work in me so that I can no longer be a slave to sin - thank You Jesus!  Help me be in action to not just do what You want me to do but also to expose my sin to me so that I can seek Your Spirit and assistance to remove impurities in my life.  I am undeserving of the sanctifying work You have already done in me - incredible blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.