Sunday, June 4, 2023

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

Hebrews 11

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. Hebrews 11:16

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how God is proud of believers.  John Piper writes this devotion with a genuine desire to please God with his life and to make Him proud.  He writes how this is possible based on reasons in Hebrews 11, specifically in 11:16 where it is explicit that - referring to those in the hall of faith mentioned in Hebrews 11 - God is not ashamed to be called their God. The first reason in the text is that God is proud because he has prepared for them a city.  Piper emphasizes here that God has done something for believers - He has prepared and saved a place for them in Heaven.  The second reason emphasized by Piper how God is proud is because of believers desire - that they desire a better country - Heaven.  We are urged by Piper to desire Heaven more so than anything else - more than anything the world could ever offer.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I am grateful this morning for my salvation - that You have prepared and saved a place in Heaven for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation nor for the place You are saving for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.