Tuesday, June 6, 2023

And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death[.]

Colossians 1

And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death[.] Colossians 1:21-22a

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how believers, apart from God's grace, are hostile to God - in their minds. In this devotion, John Piper starts with the good news - which is for believers.  Believers know that PRIOR to our salvation, we WERE hostile to God - this is stated not just in Colossians 1 but elsewhere in scripture, including Romans 5:8, 10. Through Christ's death and resurrection on the cross, those who confess Him as Lord and Savior have salvation, hope, power, etc. Yet for those who do not confess sin, repent and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, eternal damnation awaits.  Piper looks at the pre-election condition of being "alienated and hostile [to God] in mind" and shares that for those who are not elected by Christ, "hostility is really there toward the true God, but people do not allow themselves to think about the true God. They imagine God to be the way they would like him to be, which seldom includes any possibility that they might be in really serious trouble with him. But concerning the God who really exists — a God who is sovereign over all things, including sickness and calamity — we were all hostile to him, Paul says. Deep down, we hated his absolute power and authority.  That any of us is saved is owing to the wonderful truth that the death of Christ obtained the grace by which God conquered our hearts and caused us to love the One we once hated."  Believers should understand this truth and be overwhelmed in awe and love for God who turned towards us, and loved us first (1 John 4:19).  At the same time, we should continue to show mercy to those who have not turned towards God and seek to snatch them from the fire (Jude 1:22-23).  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for giving me a heart of flesh so that I could love You.  You are worthy of my love and my life as a living sacrifice - You are so good!  I am not deserving of my salvation nor how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.