Friday, June 2, 2023

[I]n you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.

Genesis 12

[I]n you all the families of the earth shall be blessed. Genesis 12:3c

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how those who believe in Christ "and follow him in the obedience of faith are Abraham’s descendants and heirs of his covenant promises."  In this devotion, John Piper starts by sharing how, even though in Genesis 17:4 God promises to Abraham that he will be "father of a multitude of nations," God intends for people throughout the world in redemptive history following Abraham that believers "would somehow enjoy the blessings of sonship even though physically unrelated to Abraham."  Piper refers us to Galatians 3:29 where Paul makes the same claim. The implication is that if we share the faith of Abraham, then it would not matter where we live or where we are born.  The key of course is sharing the faith of Abraham, who was obedient to God to the point of being willing to sacrifice his own son Issac.  In Romans 4:20-21, Paul describes this faith as "[n]o unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised." We are urged to have such faith - again, similar to my post yesterday where I highlighted Hebrews 11:1, "assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Piper wraps today's devotion by sharing "why Abraham could obey God even when obedience looked like a dead-end street. He trusted God to do the impossible — like raise his son from the dead."  We should all trust God to do the impossible.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and You are able to do all, of course the impossible - You reign over all things...and You are so good to me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.