Wednesday, June 28, 2023

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

Acts 20

But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. Acts 20:24

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter three - Steady in His Calling through Incomparable Sufferings.  This chapter describes Paul as "utterly devoted" to Christ despite and through "incomparable sufferings."  Piper shares how Acts 20:24 highlights Paul's single minded devotion to sharing the gospel. Paul's single mindedness to his mission as given to him by God is further clarified in Romans 15:20 where Paul shares how he seeks to share the Good News of Jesus Christ "not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation."  Broadly speaking, Philippians 1:20 describes Paul's mission to glorify God regardless of whether through life or death - this is how he is able to endure the incredible suffering as he described in 2 Corinthians 11:23-28.  Believers should all live on mission to glorify Christ as this is why we exist and do as Paul does to live with such single-mindedness (and with intention) that we are able to push through anything, including suffering.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who lived with singular focus - to live a perfect life, to save others, to die on the cross, and to rise again so that those who believe can be saved and sealed forever.  Thank You Jesus for the life You led and for giving us other examples such as Paul for how to serve as You desire all of us to do.  I am not worthy of how You save and for the grace You pour out.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.