Monday, June 5, 2023

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Matthew 6

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how God provides for all of our needs, and through this devotion, John Piper seeks for us to see how God does this (quoting James H. Taylor) "not only for the eternal salvation of our souls, but also for the practical provision of our daily bread and financial support." Piper uses the Overseas Missionary Fellowship, including words and actions from its founder and the great-grandson of its founder, as well as Matthew 6:33 to illustrate his message.  Matthew 6:25-34 provides a broader message about how we are not to worry - and of course we can avoid worry if we have strong faith that God will hear and respond to our prayers, and He will provide.  We don't know how God will provide but He will (Isaiah 55:8).  Over the past few days, Piper has used Abraham and others from the "hall of faith" in Hebrews 11, in his Solid Joys daily devotion series, to deliver messages on faith.  Today the urge is that we see faith as the "the all-sufficiency of God’s future grace." Piper wraps the devotion today but sharing that "[l]ives of faith are the great mirror of the dependability of God."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and You DO provide for all of my needs, big and small as You know all of the minute intimate details of my life, hold all of these details in Your hands and You love me - this I KNOW.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me, help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.