Thursday, May 18, 2023

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Colossians 3

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. Colossians 3:1-2

Given I have completed my study of Hebrews, and I have yet to determine my next study, this morning I land on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which this morning looks at Colossians 3:1-2 and how Paul seeks for us to "look at the light beyond the light," which is of course Heaven.  I am convicted listening/reading to this devotion, particularly with how I "skimp" on prayer.  John Piper describes summertime as a period of vacation, outdoor splendors, and of refreshment.  He wants (and of course so does Paul and Jesus!) us to have this refreshment but he seeks for us to get it in Jesus and not be distracted. We are referred to a number of verses that underscore Piper's message:

  • Colossians 1:18: Christ is in all of our moments of summer - SEE and experience Him!
  • Matthew 11:28: When we seek rest and long for vacation - don't forget how Christ provides ETERNAL rest!
  • Jeremiah 29:13: Believers all want to experience MORE of God - God promises that if seek Him with all of our heart we will find Him.
  • Acts 3:19-20: Experiencing God means not just turning away from sin but turning towards Him.
  • Revelation 21:23: While the sun may gives us joy this summer, we are urged to look towards the light that is everlasting Jesus Christ!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the light beyond the sun of summer and You are eternal and in You I cannot be shaken!  Thank You for how You provide such a light to me.  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.