Tuesday, May 23, 2023

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.["]

Luke 14

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.["] Luke 14:26-27

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today compares how Satan "hides his worst and shows only his best" of what he offers, to Jesus, who shows both the best and the worst. Piper then concludes, as all believers should upon review of both offers in detail, that Christ is worth it. The devotion starts with Piper laying (from Luke 14) out the case for the cost of following Christ - or the worst: " the painful cost of being a Christian: hating family (verse 26), carrying a cross (verse 27), renouncing possessions (verse 33)." Piper then pivots to Satan's deception about the best of what he offers - Genesis 3:4, Matthew 4:9. Piper uses Matthew Henry's words to conclude how the benefits of following Jesus abundantly "counterbalance" the costs. For the best of what Christ offers, we are referred to Luke 14:14 (glorious resurrection), Luke 22:32 (God will help us endure hardships), Luke 21:18 (we are provided the Holy Spirit, and even in death we will not perish), future glory that awaits us (Romans 8:18), and the eternal weight of glory that awaits us (2 Corinthians 4:17). Having experienced the lies Satan offers, been given the gift of faith (even though I am not deserving!), and having a foretaste of eternal glory, I can say without hesitation that following Jesus is worth it!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed worth following!  I am blessed!  Thank You Jesus for giving me the gift of faith and for revealing a glimpse of eternal glory.  I am not deserving of how You do this for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me, turn towards You, and overcome such sin. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.