Monday, May 15, 2023

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

Hebrews 13

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

I continue my study of Hebrews, and today my focus is Hebrews 13:7-14, and and I am assisted in my understanding by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary Series for Hebrews. The commentary outlines four divisions for this text:

I. Remember Your Leaders: Here, the commentary surmises that the use of "remember" vs "honor, respect or greet" is used likely due to how many leaders likely were martyred at the time Hebrews was written; it also emphasizes how discipleship is not just learning from the teaching of leaders but also from their practices in their daily living.

II. Remember Your Savior: We also encouraged to see - in v8 - how Jesus does not change.  We are referred to Malachi 3:6, one of many scripture references that make this point.  The commentary shares: "[w]e can rest in the absolute confidence that he will never change."

III. Do Not Be Led Astray: V8 provides a foundational truth for us to avoid being led astray by either clinging to Old Testament external practices (i.e. with foods) that no longer apply for readers of Hebrews, or to fashionable trends that seek to change our faith to suit the times. 

IV. Go Outside the Camp: Here, the commentary describes how the text uses the Old Testament practice of burning sacrificed food outside the camp, and how that directs us to follow Jesus as He was sacrificed outside Jerusalem.  It shares: "[f]ollowing Jesus means joining him outside the camp. The writer’s people were tempted to find their identity in Judaism and the old covenant."  The commentary wraps by pointing to the last verse of today's text - v14 - and how "we anticipate an everlasting city. Our hope is not in the fading city of man, it’s in the enduring city of God. We wait for an eschatological city, the heavenly Jerusalem."

Comment and discuss this this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You are worthy of worship and imitation - You are spotless, and full of grace and compassion for how You offer the only path to forgiveness and eternal life.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless as You do.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.