Monday, December 18, 2023

As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.

John 17

As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. John 17:18

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Advent devotions where I pick up on Day 18.  Here, John Piper highlights missions and how "Christmas is a model for missions. Missions is a mirror of Christmas."  Just as Christ came into the world on Christmas Day to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10), we are to go out into the world - to all nations - to proclaim the gospel (Matthew 28:18-20).  The mission field is often very dangerous as there are many places where proclaiming the gospel or starting a church is against the law and persecuted harshly.  Piper shares how Jesus encountered resistance but we are go out just as He did: "Christ came to his own and his own received him not. So you also. They plotted against him. So you. He had no permanent home. So you. They trumped up false charges against him. So you. They whipped and mocked him. So you. He died after three years of ministry. So you."  Piper then shares the greatest danger - to lose faith and trust in God: "[t]he greatest danger a missionary faces is not death but to distrust the mercy of God. If that danger is avoided, then all other dangers lose their sting."  He concludes with hope and encouragement for those facing danger by stating that if believers "Conquer [temptation to distrusting God's mercy] and nothing can harm you for a million ages."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace and mercy.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.