Thursday, December 14, 2023

Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.

Hebrews 8

Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. Hebrews 8:6

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Advent devotions where I pick up on Day 14.  Here, John Piper unpacks what occurs in the hearts and lives of believers through the better covenant that is described in Hebrews 8:6 and related text.  Piper first starts by explaining that Christ is a mediator of a new and better covenant because the blood of Christ (His crucifixion and resurrection - see also Luke 20:20, Hebrews 13:20) "finally and decisively purchased and secured the fulfillment of God’s promises for us." Piper continues by sharing that this means that "God, according to the new covenant promises, brings about our inner transformation by the Spirit of Christ.  And it means that God works this transformation in us through faith — faith in all that God is for us in Christ.  The new covenant is purchased by the blood of Christ, effected by the Spirit of Christ, and appropriated by faith in Christ." Piper then refers us to Hebrews 13:20-21 where the text, in Piper's words describe "[t]he best place to see Christ working as the Mediator of the new covenant."  Expanding on Hebrews 13:20-21, Piper then concludes the devotion by sharing that "[t]he words “working in us that which is pleasing in his sight” describe what happens when God writes the law on our hearts in accord with the new covenant. And the words “through Jesus Christ” describe Jesus as the Mediator of this glorious work of sovereign grace. So, the meaning of Christmas is not only that God replaces shadows with Reality, but also that he takes the Reality and makes it real to his people. He writes it on our hearts. He does not lay his Christmas gift of salvation and transformation under the tree, so to speak, for you to pick up in your own strength. He picks it up and puts it in your heart and in your mind and gives you the seal of assurance that you are a child of God."  For believers, Christ working in our hearts and lives is dramatic as we and others see the fruit of our faith through heart and life transformation as God molds us into His image.  It is not of course always a fun process but nonetheless God gives us joy and a peace that surpasses understanding (Philippians 4:7). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me.  You continues to mediate and interceded for me to the Father.  Thank You Jesus!  Thank You for working in my heart and life.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.