Friday, December 8, 2023

"Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him."

Matthew 2

"Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him." Matthew 2:2

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Advent devotions where I pick up on Day 8.  Here, John Piper unpacks Matthew 2:2 as he describes how God is using a star to "guid[e the] magi to the Son of God to worship him."  Piper first starts by sharing how many Bible readers concern themselves with "theories that are only tentative in the end and have very little spiritual significance."  Piper uses several examples of how the Bible does not share how a star can guide people (and rest over a place per Matthew 2:9); nor does it share how Jonah survived being in the belly of a fish, how manna fell (Exodus 16), nor how the moon turns to blood (Joel 2:31, Acts 2:20, Revelation 6:12).  Piper refers to people preoccupied with how these things occur as having "a mentality for the marginal."  Instead Piper seeks for us to "cherish...the great central things of the gospel: the holiness of God, the ugliness of sin, the helplessness of man, the death of Christ, justification by faith alone, the sanctifying work of the Spirit, the glory of Christ’s return, and the final judgment."  Coming back to the star, Piper shares: "what is plain concerning this matter of the star is that it is doing something that it cannot do on its own: It is guiding magi to the Son of God to worship him.  There is only one Person in biblical thinking that can be behind that intentionality in the stars: God himself.  So, the lesson is plain: God is guiding foreigners to Christ to worship him. And he is doing it by exerting global — probably even universal — influence and power to get it done."  Piper also wants us to see how God's design is for "all nations (see also Matthew 24:14) to worship His Son."  This includes not just all nations, but in everything we do we are to bring glory to God (1 Corinthians 10:31).  Piper concludes the devotion by building on yesterday's devotion by sharing that Matthew begins with a "come-see" Jesus and at the end we have a "go-tell" all nations about Jesus. "The magi came and saw. We are to go and tell."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is in and over all things in the universe...and You saved me!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.