Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 3

The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8b

I maintain a pause of my study of 1 Corinthians as I continue using DesiringGod.com's Advent devotions where I pick up on Day 20.  Here, John Piper encourages believers to unite with unbelievers in what he refers to in the devotion title: Christmas Solidarity. The devotion starts with Piper describing how Satan goes about his business cranking out sin via an "assembly line" and then by distributing them via "huge cargo planes."  As this sin is "spread out before God...[Satan] laughs and laughs and laughs."  The devotion then shares that Satan's objective is to make God the laughingstock of Satan and to draw people away from "the light and beauty and purity and glory of God."  For Satan, "[n]othing pleases him more than when creatures distrust and disobey their Maker."  The devotion then pivots to its connection to Christmas and how the birth of the incarnate Son of God - Jesus Christ - offers hope and good news for sinners - believers and non-believers alike.  We are referred to 1 Timothy 1:15 and 1 John 3:8 where Paul and John share that Christ came to save sinners and to defeat sin.  The devotion concludes with John Piper encouraging believers and non-believers to unite in solidarity, and to go "on strike" against Satan's "business" of sin.  Piper writes: "Christmas Solidarity will not give up until a complete shutdown has been achieved.  When sin has been destroyed, God’s name will be wholly exonerated. No one will be laughing anymore.  If you want to give a gift to God this Christmas, walk off the assembly line of sin and don’t go back. Take up your place in the picket line of love. Join Christmas Solidarity until the majestic name of God is cleared, and he stands glorious amid the accolades of the righteous." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for - giving me the full armor of God to protect me in my daily battle with sin.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving as my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.