Friday, December 1, 2023

...I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works.

Titus 3

...I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. Titus 3:8

Today I maintain my pause of my study of 1 Corinthians and continue with the study of 2 Thessalonians and Titus based on my participation in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This is week 6 of 6 and on day 1 of week 6, my focus is an unassisted review of Titus 3.

  • V1: Obey earthly authorities and be ready to serve and work - Paul qualifies work indicating that believers should be ready for "good" work - work that glorifies God; reminder that in all that we do we are to do it for the glory of God (see 1 Corinthians 10:31)
  • V2: Show perfect courtesy to all people, do not speak evil of anyone, quarrel, and be gentle
  • V3: We (believers) were once slaves to sin so we should show empathy towards unbelievers, regardless of how they act with their pursuits and with their malice, envy and hate
  • Vv4-7: Reminder of God's grace towards us as believers and the undeserved gift He gave us - salvation and all the associated blessings this carries with it
  • V8: Paul establishes his authority by sharing how what he says is trustworthy - we must not only believe and obey in what he says, we are to "insist" on these things - so that we are careful to devote ourselves to good works
  • Vv9-11: Avoid divisiveness including foolish controversies, quarrels about lesser aspects of the law; avoid those who stir up divisiveness
  • Vv12-13: Instructions for when Paul sends Artemas or Tychicus
  • V14: Devote selves to good works, particularly those with urgent need; avoid being unfruitful - works should flow from a heart of faithfulness not some ulterior motive
  • V15: Final greetings and salutations to Titus and the church in Crete from Paul  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.